Phoenix Airport Security Wait Times is less than 10 minutes at PHX International Airport. The security wait times at Phoenix Airport are subject to change and depend on many factors. The reported maximum wait time at the airport is 26 minutes at times when the passenger traffic is higher than usual.
Phoenix Airport is one of the largest airports for its commercial flights, and because of that, it is also the busiest airport in the State of Arizona. Still, the airport strives to offer you the minimum security wait times for all its passengers, and mostly, it takes at least 1 to 3 minutes on average to wait in lines. At the airport, there are 3 to 4 terminals with checkpoint gates located inside the airport. The other common name of this airport are Phoenix Sky Harbour International Airport, Sky Harbour Airport, and Sky Harbor.
Overview of The Phoenix Airport
|Name||Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport|
|Address||3400 E Sky Harbor Blvd, Phoenix, AZ 85034, United States|
Phoenix Airport is known as America’s Friendliest Airport, was established in 1952 and is 3 miles east of downtown Phoenix Arizona. It is a joint civilian-military airport and a hub for American Airlines. The airport is the 11th busiest airport in the world, and it handles 12 flights daily. There are four terminals but Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 are not functioning as they are already retired, whereas, Terminal 3 and Terminal 4 both deal in domestic and international flight
services. Terminal 3 is located on the west side of the airport, sling the parking and cell phone service, whereas Terminal 4 is located on the east side with the same facilities, and the Valley Metro rail Station is located northeast of the airport.
Phoenix Airport Security Wait Times In Minutes
When traveling through Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, it’s important to note that it may vary due to severe weather, TSA staffing, and airport construction. To help with travel planning, the TSA recommends arriving at the airport well before your scheduled flight departure.
Provided security checkpoint wait time information as a guide for your help.
|Time Interval||Wait Time (minutes)|
|3 am – 4 am||0.0|
|4 am – 5 am||17.1|
|5 am – 6 am||22.6|
|6 am – 7 am||11.4|
|7 am – 8 am||14.4|
|8 am – 9 am||9.1|
|9 am – 10 am||8.7|
|10 am – 11 am||8.6|
|11 am – 12 pm||28.1|
|12 pm – 1 pm||14.3|
|1 pm – 2 pm||17.1|
|2 pm – 3 pm||7.4|
|3 pm – 4 pm||11.0|
|4 pm – 5 pm||5.7|
|5 pm – 6 pm||7.0|
|6 pm – 7 pm||3.1|
|7 pm – 8 pm||12.7|
|8 pm – 9 pm||20.1|
|9 pm – 10 pm||0.0|
|10 pm – 11 pm||12.4|
Important Points to Consider
- Based on the table provided above you can get an estimate of the wait times before your arrival at the airport according to your timing.
- The maximum time recorded between 11 am to 12 pm is 28.1 minutes.
- The minimum time recorded is from 3 am to 4 am and 9 am to 10 pm is 0.0 minutes.
- The average time is less than 10 minutes.
- Please check the current wait times on the official website as the security wait times at Phoenix Airport is subject to changes depending on many factors such as construction, weather, staff availability, and more.
Phoenix Airport Terminal 3 security wait times
The airport terminal 3 is fully functional and provides security check-in services to all its travelers. Initially, it was named the North Wing of the Airport and later was renamed Senator John McCain in 2021. Terminal 3 has a total number of 25 gates to provide passengers with easy entry and exit. Working hours of the terminal are from – 4:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Phoenix Airport Terminal 4 security wait times
Terminal 4 is the last inside the fully functional airport and working 24×7. Here you can use the pre-check-in service at different checkpoints. There are overall 4 checkpoints at Terminal 4, including the security wait times at the Phoenix airport checkpoint. There are overall 92 gates to offer the passengers easy access, also, this is the largest terminal of the airport. Terminal 4 is also renamed Barry M. Goldwater.
Checkpoints at the Terminal 4
1. Checkpoint A
2. Checkpoint B
3. Checkpoint C
4. Checkpoint D
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport Security Checkpoints – Timing, Location, and Type
When at Phoenix Airport, it is important to use the security checkpoint that corresponds with your designated airline terminal gate. Each terminal has at least one security checkpoint open 24/7. At both these terminals, you can access CLEAR programs at these security checkpoints within Phoenix Airport.
Terminal 2 TSA Checkpoint
- Type: All passengers and TSA Pre
- TSA-Pre Operating Hours: Daily from 5:00 AM to 2:00 PM
- CLEAR Enrollment: Daily from 4:00 AM to 8:00 PM
- CLEAR Hours: Daily from 4:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Terminal 3 TSA Checkpoint
- Type: All passengers and TSA Pre
- TSA-Pre Operating Hours: Daily, 5:00 AM to 2:00 PM
- CLEAR Hours: Daily, 4:00 AM to 8:00 PM
- CLEAR Enrollment: Daily, 4:00 AM to 8:00 PM
TSA Checkpoints at Terminal 4 ( A, B, C, D)
- Type: All passengers and TSA Pre
- TSA-Pre Hours operating hours – Daily, 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM
- CLEAR Hours and Enrollment:- All Checkpoints: Daily, 4:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Use CLEAR Lanes to Expedite Screening
At Phoenix Airport Security wait times, you can use the CLEAR expedited security screening to reduce your wait times in security lines. CLEAR counters are available at all security checkpoints; their hours can be found in the above information. Before your arrival, you can reserve a spot for RESERVE powered by CLEAR up to 72 hours before departure.
TSA PreCheck at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
At the Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, you can find TSA Pre Lanes at all security checkpoints. However, as the TSA operates them, their hours may differ from the Terminal operating hours. Check the TSA Pre-Schedule on the airport’s official website to find the specific hours for your travel date and time.
You can enroll in the TSA Pre program to reduce Phoenix Airport Security Wait Times TSA. You can even sign up for TSA PreCheck before your next Phoenix flight at the enrollment center in Terminal 4 baggage claim near door 2. According to the TSA, the enrollment center is open from 7:30 AM to 12:00 PM and 12:30 PM to 4:00 PM, Monday to Friday.
Helpful Tips and Resources after Your Security Screening
- Passengers at Phoenix Airport can enjoy fast screening using the TSA PreCheck service; however at many times, you do not even have to remove your shoes, laptops, liquids, belts, and light jackets.
- After clearing security, access the interactive terminal map of their airport on their official website to locate your gate and discover restaurant and shopping options on the way.
- Opt for off-airport parking lots for a cheaper alternative to parking within the airport premises. You can also reserve a spot in advance.
- If you have time before your flight, take advantage of the free Wi-Fi to catch up on emails, explore the shops, or grab a bite.
- If you need something within the terminal area, find the contact information for lost and found services.
- If you need a quick ride to your destination upon arrival, contact one of the taxi or limo service providers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Less than 10 minutes is the security wait time at Phoenix Airport.
You should arrive at least 2 hours before your domestic flight and 3 hours before your international flight.
Phoenix Airport is the 11th busiest airport in the United States and 22nd in the world.
There are two functional Terminals 3 and Terminal 4 whereas, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 are retired.