Lufthansa Airlines seat selection system lets you reserve a seat of your liking. Whether you want a window seat or a seat with extra legroom, the airline offers comfortable options for you and your partner. Passengers are allowed to book seats in advance while purchasing a ticket or at the time of check-in. Please note that booking a seat in advance does not guarantee the same seat on board. You only select the category of the seat, i.e. Classic Seat, Preferred Zone Seat, Extra Legroom Seat, etc.
Reserve A Seat On Lufthansa
Seat selection on Lufthansa depends on the type of travel class you are flying on. There are four types of travel classes offering different types of seating with varied benefits. Remember, the fee for the selected seat is based on the duration and destination of your flight. Interestingly, Lufthansa seat selection is free on some fares. Along with this, it is necessary to note other conditions as well:
- These terms and conditions are applicable to flights operated by Lufthansa Group airlines, Lufthansa Regional (Air Dolomiti, Lufthansa CityLine), Lufthansa Express Rail (DB), Edelweiss or Discover Airlines.
- You are eligible to book a seat only when your flight is confirmed. Please check you are not on the waiting list.
- If you forget to reserve a seat during the flight reservation, you can book it later. Note that you can book up to 52 hours before the scheduled takeoff via the “Manage booking” section.
The following conditions apply to passengers booking a seat in the exit row. He/she cannot book a seat if the below-stated requirements are not met:
- The passenger is at least 16 years of age or older.
- He/she can speak German or English fluently.
- Passengers can and will help other passengers in case of an emergency.
- You can read, understand, and carry out the crew’s instructions in the event of an emergency.
- You are traveling with a partner who is not dependent on your help.
- You are not flying with your pet.
- You do not have any serious health condition or any responsibility that can prevent you from performing stated tasks or cause you injury if you do so.
- The airline will allocate the seat if the passenger fails to meet any one of the above-stated conditions.
Select Seat At The Time Of Check In
Lastly, you may select available seats as soon as you check in for your flight. Depending on your fare condition, Lufthansa select seats for you free of charge. However, it is possible that you may not get a seat of your choice due to unavailability. Passengers flying to the European route on Economy Light will get a seat assigned to them automatically at check-in. Seat change is possible for a fee starting from 292 EUR.
Lufthansa Fee For Seat Selection
The fee for Lufthansa Airlines seat selection is solely based on the selected category and, of course, the travel class as well. Each fare has its own category of seat (e.g. Classic Seat, Preferred Zone Seat, & Extra Legroom Seat) that a passenger can purchase for a fee. This service is free of charge for passengers flying in Business and First Class. Let’s discuss the payable fee with the help of the table below:
1. Economy Class
|Flights between Europe and
(Select wherever you want to sit.)
|Preferred Zone Seat
(Sit at the front of Economy Class)
|Extra Legroom Seat
|European short-haul and domestic flights
|Austria, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Netherlands, Denmark, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Ireland, Greece and Croatia
|European long-haul flights (Including the Middle East, North Africa, the Canary Islands, and Cyprus)
|Armenia, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Algeria, Georgia, Morocco, Tunisia, Canary Islands, Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Israel, Egypt and Cape Verde
|35 EUR for European long-haul flights
46 EUR for the remaining.
|Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea, Iran, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, USA/Canada east coast, USA/Canada west coast, Angola, Kazakhstan, India, Kenya, Tanzania, Maldives, Seychelles, Sri Lanka, China, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Columbia, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Venezuela, Panama, Costa Rica, South Africa, Mauritius, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, Namibia and Cuba
2. Premium Economy Class
|Flights between Europe and
|Intercontinental short-haul flights
|Ethiopia, Bahrain, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Iran, and Israel
|Intercontinental short-haul plus
|Angola, India, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia
|USA/Canada, Kazakhstan, Equatorial Guinea, Sri Lanka, Seychelles, Tanzania, China, Maldives, Columbia, Venezuela, Mexico, Panama, Brazil, Cuba, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, Mauritius, Thailand, Costa Rica, and South Africa
People Also Ask (FAQs)
No, passengers flying in Business Class have the benefit of selecting a seat free of charge. The same applied to First Class passengers.
Yes, passengers flying in Economy and Premium Economy have to pay to get the preferred seat.
Lufthansa Airlines Seat Selection can cost around 14 EUR to 50 EUR per seat per passenger. The amount is based on the selected route and travel class.
A preferred seat in Lufthansa Economy is a seat located at the front of the cabin and right behind the Premium Economy or Business Class. This seat lets you get off the plane quickly after the landing.
Passengers who do not reserve a seat in advance can select one at the time of check-in. Economy Light passengers are assigned seats automatically at the time of check-in.