Travelling can be a stressful experience, especially for individuals with mobility limitations. To ensure a comfortable and seamless travel experience, airlines offer wheelchair assistance services to passengers who require them. Spirit Airlines, one of the major low-cost carriers in the United States, also provides special assistance and other such services to its customers.
If you or someone you know requires wheelchair assistance on Spirit Airlines, it’s important to know how to add this service to your booking. In this guide, we will provide you with a detailed description on how to add wheelchair assistance in Spirit, including the steps you need to follow to make your travel journey as smooth and comfortable as possible.
Terms and Conditions for Getting Wheelchair Assistance in Spirit Flight?
Spirit Airlines provides wheelchair assistance to passengers who require mobility assistance to board, disembark, or move around the airport. Here are the terms and conditions for getting wheelchair assistance on Spirit flights:
- Request for wheelchair assistance: Passengers who require wheelchair assistance should make the request at the time of booking their flight or at least 48 hours before the scheduled departure time.
- Medical clearance: Passengers must provide medical clearance documentation at least 72 hours before the scheduled departure time.
- Mobility devices: Passengers may bring their own manual or electric wheelchairs, mobility scooters, and walkers for use during their travel with Spirit Airlines.
- Assistance animals: Passengers travelling with service animals or emotional support animals must comply with Spirit Airlines’ policies and procedures.
- Check-in and boarding: Passengers requiring wheelchair assistance will be checked in and boarded first, after passengers requiring special assistance.
- In-flight services: Spirit Airlines will provide additional assistance as needed during the flight, including assistance with getting to and from the lavatory.
- Disembarkation: Passengers requiring wheelchair assistance will be assisted off the aircraft and to baggage claim or ground transportation.
It’s important to note that passengers must inform Spirit Airlines of any special needs or requests at the time of booking or at least 48 hours before the scheduled departure time to ensure that the necessary arrangements can be made. Additionally, passengers may be required to provide documentation or additional information about their needs in order to receive wheelchair assistance.
Spirit Airlines Wheelchair Assistance – (Steps to Add)
You can add wheelchair assistance to your Spirit Airlines booking by following one of these options:
- My Trips section of the website: Go to the homepage of the Spirit Airlines website and access the My Trips section. From there, follow the instructions to access your reservation, scroll down to the Passenger section, click “ADD” next to “Additional Info,” and select the type of wheelchair assistance needed.
- Text or call: You can also text or call Spirit Airlines at 855-728-3555 to request wheelchair assistance.
If you need assistance upon arrival at the airport, there are several options:
- Ask a Spirit Team Member or Spirit Airlines wheelchair service provider at the ticket counter. We will provide assistance within 20 minutes of your request.
- Arrive early – at least 2 hours prior to your domestic flight or 3 hours for international flights.
- If you need curbside assistance outside of our terminal, have a family member or friend request this for you at the ticket counter or with our service provider.
Spirit Airlines Will Provide the Following Assistance
Spirit Airlines provide passengers with assistance right from the airport till they arrive at their final destination. The passengers flying with Spirit can expect to get the mentioned assistance, if needed:
- Printing your boarding pass, if needed.
- Dropping off your checked bag, if applicable.
- Going through the TSA.
- To a restroom/restaurant on the way to your gate (time permitting).
Once at the gate, a Spirit representative will check on you every 30 minutes and assist you if your gate changes and can also help you board before other guests, if requested. Once onboard, a Flight Attendant can use an onboard wheelchair if you need help in a lavatory.
Upon arriving at your destination, please remain onboard until all other guests have deplaned. Alert a Flight Attendant that you will need wheelchair assistance and identify yourself with Spirit wheelchair service provider at the gate. Sprit representative will assist you to the baggage claim and/or curb in front of the Spirit terminal, or to your connecting flight.
Onboard Wheelchair Assistance or Aisle Wheelchair in Spirit Flight
For the passengers who need assistance in getting to their seat, can request for Onboard Wheelchair Assistance or Aisle Wheelchair in their flights. You can follow the below mentioned steps to request assistance.
- Visit the “My Trips” section on the official website of Spirit Airlines in order to access your reservation and click on “add” besides “additional info”, to select the type of wheelchair assistance you need.
- At the gate, you can inform a Spirit Airlines representative to let them know you need Aisle assistance.
- You can also request pre-boarding from a Spirit Airlines member, to board the flight before other passengers.
- While boarding, you will be assisted with two trained agents, who will assist you throughout till you are well-seated in your plane seat.
- During the flight, a flight attendant will help you, for accessing the lavatory.
- When you have landed to your destination, you will be the last to deplane, after other passengers.
In summary, Spirit Airlines provides wheelchair assistance for passengers with disabilities who require assistance with boarding, deplaning, and navigating the airport. To add wheelchair assistance, passengers can request it during the booking process or by contacting Spirit Airlines customer service.
It is important to provide accurate information about the passenger’s needs to ensure that the appropriate level of assistance is provided. Additionally, passengers should arrive at the airport early to allow time for wheelchair assistance and communicate any specific requirements to the airline staff.
Spirit Airlines Wheelchair Assistance (FAQs)
No, Spirit Airlines doesn’t charge for wheelchair assistance, it’s free of cost for all the passengers, regardless of the class they are flying in.
Aisle chair and onboard wheelchair assistance is provided to the passengers who need assistance in seating on the plane.
Yes, the passengers flying with Spirit Airlines can bring their own wheelchairs.
Passengers who require wheelchair assistance can request at the time of booking their flight or at least 48 hours before the scheduled departure time.
Also, You May Check: Wheelchair Assistance at Airport Air India